Thursday, February 23, 2012

Charlie's Angels... of DEATH: Chapter 4 -- The Girl With a Purpose

     “Mr. and Mrs. Park,” Charles started, “I’m sure you’re wondering why I called you here today.  As I told you on the phone, I engage in philanthropy all over the country, and one of my assistants read about your daughter’s situation in an online forum.  Meiling is such a promising young athlete, attracting so much attention already at the age of 12.  Some predicted that she would be the youngest female to ever win a grand slam title, so I know her recent injuries must have hit your family very hard.”

     Mrs. Park, a normally tough (and kind of scary) Taiwanese woman, stifled a sob in her handkerchief.  Her husband, a stoic Texan, rested a hand on her shoulder and faced the man across from him squarely.  “Mr. Charles, I must say that we still don’t quite understand why you’ve taken an interest in Meiling’s situation.”

     “She’s a young girl from Abilene, TX.  I’m a complete stranger, who had never set foot in Abilene until today, so why would I want to help your family?  I can understand why you would question my motives.  As a philanthropist, my favorite causes are those that help young people.  In fact, I have an academy where talented young people get to live together, study with the finest professors, and train one-on-one with the best coaches, all in order to best nurture their gifts and help them achieve their highest potential.”

     Mrs. Park’s sniffling quieted as she listened.

     “But how can you help her?” Mr. Park asked.  “Meiling’s doctors said that injuring her left shoulder and both legs has effectively ruined her future prospects to be a tennis star, even if all of the surgeries are successful.”

     “I told her the rodeo was strictly forbidden because I knew she wouldn't be content with just being a spectator.  Who risks that kind of injury when they have such a promising future ahead of them in tennis?!  She doesn't listen to me though, never has...” Mrs. Park wailed.

     “Well,” Charles began, somewhat uncomfortably, “I’m sure the doctors here are very competent, and they probably believe that no one could recover from the injuries she incurred when that bull threw her... then trampled her... then gored her and tossed her into the bleachers...  It's amazing she survived, to be completely honest... but I assure you, I have been funding medical research to repair the exact type of injuries Meiling sustained.  I would love to use my team of surgeons to return Meiling’s shoulder and legs to their normal function.  After they complete their procedures, Meiling will make a full recovery and no one will be able to tell the rodeo incident ever happened.”

     “The doctors can do that?” Mrs. Park asked with hope in her voice.

     “With the proper procedures, and some hard work on her part at my rehabilitation facility, I have no doubt that she can be that great again, if not even better.  She’ll be like a bionic version of her old self,” Charles assured her with a warm smile.

     “Better?” Mr. Park asked incredulously.  “Could she be ready for the U.S. Open in 2013?”

     “With the right care, Mr. and Mrs. Park, I have no doubt about that.  She’ll be stronger than ever.  My surgeons are performing procedures that are the first of their kind.  So far, we’ve enjoyed tremendous success.  We will provide her with the best doctors, and 24-hour care for as long as her rehabilitation takes.”

     Charles reached into the expensive leather briefcase beside his chair and pulled out a folder and a pen.  He handed it to Mr. Park.

     “She will play tennis again.  She will swim, play soccer, and even ultimate Frisbee, if she likes, and she will excel at all of these sports.  She may even end up being a rodeo queen,” Charles said, sitting back as Mr. Park read over the contract.

     “No, no more rodeo-ing for her.” Mrs. Park said in a serious voice.  “No rich man will ever marry her if she engages in such unladylike activities.”

     “I can’t speak to that, Mrs. Park.  Who knows what will happen by the time she is thinking about marriage?  Fortunately, she is only 12, so there is plenty of time to worry about that.  Just sign on the line and I will guarantee that she is taken care of.”

     Mrs. Park shook her head and sighed.  “She’s going to be down the hill before we know it…”

2 comments:

  1. tennis to rodeo to ultimate frisbee...the danger is certainly escalating!

    ReplyDelete